domingo, novembro 07, 2004

o relato dos passageiros

At first it just went all black. Some other passengers were trying to calm people down in the carriage. We also had a priest in there, he was saying please remain calm.
Two guys in my car managed to get the hammers and break out of the top windows [as the carriage was on its side].
I managed to get out through the door at the back.
It was our car that had the fatality in it.
One person was close to the windows and went through and got trapped underneath the train.
It was very unpleasant.
Some girls in front of me had their faces covered in blood and I remember someone saying they had a broken arm.
I guess that 20 to 30 people were trapped in that carriage.
Inside the carriage there was glass everywhere. The really dramatic thing was people were flashing their mobiles to see [in the dark].
For some, this kind of thing happens very quickly, but for me it happened very slowly.
At first it felt like we were going over a bump, like hitting something. A couple of seconds later the train tilted.
You felt something was definitely not right.
I heard the noise of the wheels screeching very loud. There was broken glass all over the track.
The whole thing tilted to the left side of the tracks. My carriage remained on the tracks but on its side, sliding along.
I could see some people at the side of the tracks. I saw one carriage smashed in completely. It was a big pile of wreckage.
As far as I can recall some people were struggling, with broken legs and arms, but 95% were without major injuries, which is great.
It is unbelievable to think you could go through that kind of thing and even survive.
To see from the inside a train derailing is really unbelievable.
Now you just worry that a lot more people were injured as severely.
JONNY SAUNDERS, BBC RADIO FIVE LIVE REPORTER

There was suddenly this extraordinary stopping sensation as if someone had pulled the emergency cord, but it carried on and carried on.
We came to a juddering halt and suddenly the lights went off, screaming, shouting and it went pitch black, then total chaos in the carriage for a few moments.
I was incredibly lucky because the carriage I was in didn't actually go over on its side, but the carriage in front of me did go over on its side and the carriage behind me went over on its side.
I tried to get the hammer to break the glass. We managed to eventually get out.
We were lucky in our carriage, but certainly there would be people less lucky.
We managed to get out and were taken to a nearby pub and people are being treated by the paramedics who are at the pub.
Itãs pretty scary stuff.
I was in the back. What they had done on this train, which was not normal and I get this train most days, is that they put the first class section towards the front of the train.
It was pitch black so it was difficult to say what was going on, but it derailed between Reading and Newbury.
There was lots of screaming and shouting and people obviously start panicking.
All I can tell you is what happened in our carriage, but there were lots of people getting up onto their seats and trying to get off the train.
There was a real smell as well of the fumes everywhere. One person tried to light a cigarette and someone said don't light up a cigarette.
It was very, very scary indeed and people all around here, myself included, are in complete shock.
RICHARD MICKLEWRIGHT, PASSENGER

I was in the rear of the train, the train was travelling in reverse formation. Carriage A was at the rear, and I was fortunate to have been in that carriage.
We'd just left Reading and were on our way to Newbury.
It was going at a reasonable speed and then you felt a juddering, and you think OK, they're putting the brakes on.
Then it got more severe and I thought it's more than that.
Then it became really bad and starting rocking severely. Our particular carriage went on to its side, about a 45 degree angle but fortunately it stopped shortly after that.
I can tell you the carriage in front of us was upright, the one before that ended up at a right angle to the tracks. Beyond that I couldn't see clearly until they put the lights on just before I left the scene.
It looked to me like there were a lot of carriages strewn all over the place from what I could see, but I wasn't up that end of the train.
I can only tell you from my carriage that I heard no one say they were injured. We were at the rear, so that was a blessing.
It was pretty full, but I think most people were seated, certainly in our carriage.
I spoke to another passenger who was in a car near the front and he said that as he was walking back up the line, he saw there was a massive gap in the middle of the train.
He did talk to a passenger who said he had been in a carriage that had turned over several times.
There was a little bit of panic, one or two people were panicking, saying 'not us, not us'.
I was just grateful that the thing had come to a stop and we were all in one piece.
It was pitch black obviously, until someone managed to find an emergency light.
[The emergency services] were very quick - obviously not immediate, but about 10 or 15 minutes.
CHARLIE EVELYN WHITE, 22, PASSENGER

We were going along and the next thing I heard brakes come on.
It was like when you hear a car crash you instantly recognise the sounds, so I knew what was happening.
I braced against the impact. The lights went off, windows smashed, and the carriage were being dragged along across the gravel.
Someone landed on top of me. The woman said her leg was hurt and someone lifted her off me.
I got out through a broken window.
Now I can't speak. I just want to go home and just relax.
DUNCAN FREEMAN, PASSENGER

I felt a huge jolt and then a second one and the lights went out.
I felt I was in serious danger of losing my life.
I picked up my bag and a ticket inspector told us not to leave the carriage but I could smell diesel so I thought it would be best to get out of the carriage.

Sem comentários: